Gluten-Free Recipes for Recipes of the Week
Butternut, Apple and Chicken Sausage HashSeptember 9, 2022
You’ll love this sweet and savory butternut squash hash with chicken sausage and apples. Made with certified gluten-free sausage links from Jones Dairy Farm, this recipe is ideal for an autumn weekend brunch or breakfast for dinner! Recipe is courtesy of Michele from Paleo Running Momma.
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed about 1 inch
- 2 tablespoon ghee or preferred cooking fat, melted
- 1 package Jones Dairy Farm chicken sausage links, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large apple, chopped; honeycrisp or pink lady work best
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh poultry herbs, plus more for garnish
- 4 eggs
- Sea salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, toss butternut squash cubes with 1 tablespoon of ghee. Evenly coat with sea salt and spread into single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast in oven 25–30 minutes, or until golden brown and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat large cast iron skillet (or heavy nonstick skillet) over medium high heat. Once hot, add remaining tablespoon of ghee.
- Add chicken sausage and cook, stirring 2 minutes or until brown.
- Add onions and reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until onions are translucent and sausage is toasty.
- Add apples, cinnamon, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir until apples are soft, about 2–4 minutes.
- Turn off heat and once the butternut squash is roasted, gently fold into mix (drain excess grease first, if desired).
- Create four indents in hash and carefully crack one egg into each groove.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt, pepper and additional herbs, then cover and return skillet to medium heat.
- Cook until eggs are cooked to preference, 5–10 minutes.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
TAGS: BREAKFAST, DAIRY-FREE, DINNER, LUNCH, RECIPES OF THE WEEK
Quick and Easy Egg BitesAugust 9, 2022
These quick and easy egg bites are perfect fresh out of the oven or meal prepped for breakfasts on-the-go! Make them with any of Jones Dairy Farm’s certified gluten-free, all-natural sausages, including pork, chicken, turkey or maple.
This recipe is provided courtesy of Jones Dairy Farm.
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 package Jones Dairy Farm Golden Brown Sausages, thawed and sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with silicone liners.
- Beat eggs and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add in sausage, tomatoes and feta.
- Divide mixture evenly into each muffin tin.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set.
- Let cool until just warm to touch. Enjoy!
TAGS: RECIPES OF THE WEEK, BREAKFAST
BLT Ranch Baked PotatoesJuly 6, 2022
Classic baked potatoes are transformed with crispy Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Bacon, roasted cherry tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
Recipe provided courtesy of Jonathan at The Candid Appetite and Jones Dairy Farm. This recipe is made with certified gluten-free Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Bacon.
- 4 large baking potatoes, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup buttermilk ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place potatoes directly on middle oven rack and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Place sliced cherry tomatoes on baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 10 to 15 minutes until charred, then remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Drop in sliced bacon and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until browned and crispy. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
- Once potatoes are fully cooked, make slit down middle and open by pushing in on sides.
- Top each potato with tablespoon of butter and dollop of sour cream. Fluff with fork to incorporate butter and sour cream with potato.
- Top with cheese, crispy bacon, roasted tomatoes, shredded lettuce and drizzle with ranch.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
TAGS: DESSERT, LUNCH, SIDE DISHES, RECIPES OF THE WEEK
Garlic Shrimp and Sausage SkilletMay 19, 2022
Recipe courtesy of Jones Dairy Farm and Rena from Healthy Fitness Meals
Start the summer season right with this shrimp and sausage skillet featuring summer squash!
This recipe is made with all-natural, certified gluten-free Jones Dairy Farm Turkey Sausage Links.
- 1 package (7 oz) Jones Dairy Farm Turkey Sausage Links, chopped
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium green zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow zucchini, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (plus more to garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place shrimp in small bowl and mix in one tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add shrimp to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove shrimp and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, add one tablespoon of oil, turkey sausage, and onions. Toss together for about two minutes.
- Add bell pepper, zucchini, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook for three minutes until zucchini is tender and cooked through.
- Add cooked shrimp back in. Toss for another two minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve. Enjoy!
TAGS: DAIRY-FREE, DINNER, LUNCH, RECIPES OF THE WEEK
Chicken & Dumpling SoupDecember 6, 2021
Recipe courtesy of our sponsor Schär
There’s nothing quite as fragrant as the aroma of homemade chicken and dumpling soup wafting through your home—and this satisfying soup tastes just as good as it smells!
- 3 packages Schär Gluten-Free Rosemary Table Crackers
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp water (dough)
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water (soup)
- 8 oz chicken breast
- 3/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 3/4 cup carrots, finely diced
- 3/4 cup parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- Put the crackers in a food processor or blender and pulse into fine crumbs*. This makes about 1 cup of crumbs.
- Whisk together eggs, water, and butter in a medium bowl. Stir in the cracker crumbs, green onions, cheese, nutmeg and pepper until a stiff mixture forms.
- Cover dough and chill for 30 minutes. The mixture will thicken as it chills.
- Pour chicken broth and water into a stock pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat to simmer.
- Add chicken breast to the broth and simmer chicken for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a plate to cool.
- Add celery, carrots and parsnips to the broth in the pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Meanwhile, cut the cooled chicken breast into small strips about 1 ½ inches long.
- Add the chicken back to the broth. Adjust heat to low and bring to a gentle boil.
- Form dumpling dough into balls (you can use a teaspoon, mini ice cream scooper, or hands to do this) and then drop the dumplings into the boiling soup.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover the pot, and cook dumplings for 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
*If you don’t have a food processor you can make the crumbs by placing the crackers in a large zipper-style plastic bag, sealing the bag and using a rolling pin to crush the crackers into fine crumbs.
TAGS: RECIPES OF THE WEEK, SOUPS/STEWS
Cranberry-Glazed Sausage, Apple & Sweet Potato MeatballsNovember 15, 2021
Recipe courtesy of Jones Dairy Farm
The best meatball appetizers deliver the right blend of sweet and savory, and these tasty treats fit the bill.
This recipe is made with a certified gluten-free Jones Dairy All Natural Sausage Roll.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (12 oz) Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 cup sweet potato, shredded
- 1 cup apple, shredded
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease baking sheet and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine all meatball ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Form about 25 cocktail-sized meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs for 18 minutes or until cooked through.
- While meatballs are baking, prepare sauce: in medium saucepan over high heat, combine cranberry juice cocktail and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency that will coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour sauce over cooked meatballs and stir, coating meatballs completely with the sauce.
- Serve with toothpicks.
TAGS: APPETIZERS/SNACKS, DINNER, HOLIDAY, THANKSGIVING, RECIPES OF THE WEEK
Cinnamon Roll CupcakesNovember 1, 2021
Recipe courtesy of our sponsor Schär
These mouth-watering Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes will delight your friends and family. We top them with Cream Cheese Icing so they look and taste just like the classic cinnamon rolls of your dreams!
- 10 slices Schär Gluten-Free Artisan Baker White Bread
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tsp divided vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Make the Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-cup nonstick muffin/cupcake pan.
- Trim crusts from bread. Arrange bread slices on large cutting board.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Spread each bread slice with butter.
- Evenly sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture on top of buttered bread slices.
- Stack 2 bread slices together with cinnamon-sugar sides facing each other. Repeat to make a total of 5 sandwiches.
- Using a serrated knife, gently cut each bread stack into 8 to 10 strips, then cut each strip crosswise in half.
- Carefully line the muffin cups with the strips, in a circular pattern, dividing the slices evenly to fill all 12 cups.
- Place the eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and the half & half in a medium bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Use a small measuring cup to pour the egg mixture over the bread strips, dividing the mixture evenly among the muffin cups. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cupcakes spring back to the touch. Cool pan on wire rack for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Use a knife to loosen the edges of the cupcakes, and then carefully invert muffin pan to release cupcakes onto a platter.
Make the Cream Cheese Icing:
- Combine powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Spread 1 teaspoon icing evenly on top of each cupcake.
- Serve warm!
TAGS: BREADS, DESSERT, FOR KIDS, HOLIDAY, RECIPES OF THE WEEK
Creamy Sausage Cauliflower GnocchiOctober 4, 2021
Recipe courtesy of Jones Dairy Farm and created by Healthy Fitness Meals
A creamy and tasty one-pot meal made with chicken sausage, cauliflower gnocchi, spinach, in a creamy Italian coconut milk base sauce.
This recipe is made with gluten-free Jones Golden Brown® Chicken Links.
- 1 package Jones Dairy Farm Golden Brown Chicken sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 lb gluten-free cauliflower gnocchi, or gluten-free potato gnocchi
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a skillet or pan over medium heat, add oil and cook the sausage for 2 minutes. Toss and add in the onions and garlic.
- Cook for another 1–2 minutes until the onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant. Then add in the diced tomatoes.
- Stir and cook on high for another 2–3 minutes. Pour in the broth, coconut milk, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Mix and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Next, add the cauliflower gnocchi and spinach. Stir again, cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 5–7 minutes.
- Uncover the pan or skillet and give it a good stir. Allow it to cook for another few minutes, or until the gnocchi has cooked through and is nice and soft. Simmer for another minute and allow the sauce to thicken to your liking.
- Finally, add in the parmesan cheese and stir. Serve and enjoy
TAGS: DINNER, SIDE DISHES, SOUPS/STEWS, RECIPES OF THE WEEK
Cuban Bagel SandwichAugust 3, 2021
Recipe courtesy of our sponsor Schär
The deli comes to you when you make your own Cuban Bagel Sandwiches—layers of Swiss cheese, ham, roast pork and dill pickles on a delicious bagel spread with tangy Dijon mustard. Yum!
Gluten-Free Cuban Bagel Sandwich
|1 package||Schär Plain Bagels|
|2 tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|8 slices||Swiss cheese|
|8 slices||deli-style smoked ham|
|12 slices||dill pickles|
|8 slices||deli-style roast pork|
- Cut bagels in half. Evenly spread mustard on cut halves of bagels.
- Build the sandwich layers. Starting with the bottom half of each bagel, layer 1 cheese slice, 2 ham slices, 3 pickle slices, 2 roast pork slices and 1 cheese slice. Place top half of bagel on the cheese layer. Repeat to make 4 sandwiches.
- Use 1/2 tbsp butter to coat the top and bottom of each sandwich.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place bagel sandwiches in the skillet. Press down firmly on the sandwiches with a spatula or the back of another skillet.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom and the cheese has melted. Turn the sandwiches and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- If desired, serve sandwiches with extra pickles and gluten-free plantain chips.
TAGS: DINNER, LUNCH, RECIPES OF THE WEEK
No-Bake Red, White and Blue Lemon Cheesecake MousseJuly 6, 2021
Recipe courtesy of Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
This is not a baked custard cheesecake. It is a gelatin-set cheesecake that I first made in England and continue to make. There is no baking (apart from the crust, which some prefer cooked but it is not necessary), no worrying if you’ve overcooked the custard, no cracking of cheesecake, no overnight cooling, etc. It is very popular with my students and clients and you can vary the flavors with different chocolates and liqueurs. It is stiff when you remove it from the fridge but softens to more of a mousse consistency when it’s been out of the fridge for half an hour. Gelatin stops it from melting in the heat. “Lite” cream cheese makes a softer-set cheesecake than 100% cream cheese, but I’ve used lite cream cheese for years.
I added my homemade, microwave-cooked lemon curd to cream cheese mix. Homemade lemon curd (made of butter, sugar, lemon, and eggs and can be used to top scones, cakes, bagels, etc) is delicious. Yes, you could substitute store-bought lemon curd, but the brands I’ve seen use lemon oil, pectin to thicken, palm oil, lemon concentrate, cornflour, citric acid, acetic acid, sodium citrate, color, egg powder, water and then call it authentic. Not in my book!
I’ve made variations of this cheesecake for years, from when I lived in London, including versions with Kahlúa coffee, chocolate peanut butter, white chocolate raspberry, dark chocolate orange, margarita, and white chocolate hazelnut praline. Play with flavor variations using these quantities as a guide.
Gluten-Free No-Bake Cheesecake Mousse
- Crushed crumbs of gluten-free graham cracker, cookies, or shortbread crust. Schar gluten-free shortbread cookies, 7 oz bag, makes a generous crust
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 packet of powdered gelatin. An orange box of Knox gelatin in the grocery store is 2 and 1/4 tsp (11g)
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 lb room temperature cream cheese
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup, roughly 8 oz lemon curd
- 1 cup of liquid heavy or whipping cream
- ½ cup cream with 2 tbsp sugar (whip these together to make whipped cream for decorating)
- More lemon curd, if you like your cheesecake tangy
- Fresh blueberries and/or fresh strawberries
- Melt butter in the microwave in 15 second intervals and then add to cookie crumbs when liquid.
- Press the butter and crumb mixture evenly into a 9” pie plate or springform pan and either bake for 10 minutes or just refrigerate. With current temps being 100°F, I microwave cookie crumbs and butter in a microwave-safe bowl for about a minute or two, then press into the pan and refrigerate.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water, stir in and leave to stand for 2–3 minutes. The gelatin will set in a rubbery lump but will dissolve with microwaving.
- Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon curd. Beat for a few minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Melt gelatin mix in the microwave for about 15 seconds. It will stay the same light brown color but should have melted, no granules left. It is important to melt it thoroughly otherwise it will set into little nuggets of gelatin.
- Beat gelatin mix into the cream cheese mix.
- Beat 1 cup of cream until stiff and gently beat into the cream cheese mix.
- Pour mix into pan, over the crust, and refrigerate for several hours.
- Once chilled, run a thin plastic spatula or knife around edge between cheesecake and pan, release springform and remove. Leave in pie plate or brownie pan.
- Cut a tiny sliver of set cheesecake and taste it to see if it’s lemony enough. You can hide the absent sliver with whipped cream before serving. I often spread more lemon curd on top of the cheesecake to make it really tangy. Whipping cream and adding 50% lemon curd folded in is also delicious for a topping or on it’s own with fresh fruit.
- Pipe whipped cream rosettes around top edge of cheesecake, and top with fresh blueberries and strawberries.
You can also make this in 8×8 brownie pan, then arrange blueberries and strawberries in flag pattern.
About Chef Oonagh Williams
I have written a monthly recipe column for Beyond Celiac since January 2011. I have a Culinary Arts degree as well as celiac disease and other food allergies, so I know food and live this way daily. Remember that most real food is naturally gluten-free until manufacturers mess around with it, and only baking really needs changing. Real food is now being called clean eating.
Talks and appearances are currently canceled, but you can connect with me on Facebook at Gluten-Free Cooking with Oonagh or on LinkedIn. I’ve just filmed recipes at home for New Hampshire’s ABC WMUR’s Cooks Corner and they are being aired. I am also being included in the nationwide library database of online presenters.
For new recipes and lots of advice, my e-cookbook Delicious Gluten-Free Cooking is only $20 and available to download on my website. It has tips, full-color photos, and recipes like grandma’s comfort soup, shrimp and crab bisque, English trifle, buffalo chicken, tiramisu, dinner party fare, and more. Follow the link to see the table of contents and thumbnail photos of the full-size photos in the e-book.PERMALINK
TAGS: DESSERT, FOR KIDS, HOLIDAY, RECIPES OF THE WEEK