Butternut, Apple and Chicken Sausage Hash
You’ll love this sweet and savory butternut squash hash with chicken sausage and apples. Made with certified gluten-free sausage links from Jones Dairy Farm, this recipe is ideal for an autumn weekend brunch or breakfast for dinner! Recipe is courtesy of Michele from Paleo Running Momma.
- 4 cups butternut squash, cubed about 1 inch
- 2 tablespoon ghee or preferred cooking fat, melted
- 1 package Jones Dairy Farm chicken sausage links, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large apple, chopped; honeycrisp or pink lady work best
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh poultry herbs, plus more for garnish
- 4 eggs
- Sea salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, toss butternut squash cubes with 1 tablespoon of ghee. Evenly coat with sea salt and spread into single layer on baking sheet.
- Roast in oven 25–30 minutes, or until golden brown and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat large cast iron skillet (or heavy nonstick skillet) over medium high heat. Once hot, add remaining tablespoon of ghee.
- Add chicken sausage and cook, stirring 2 minutes or until brown.
- Add onions and reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until onions are translucent and sausage is toasty.
- Add apples, cinnamon, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir until apples are soft, about 2–4 minutes.
- Turn off heat and once the butternut squash is roasted, gently fold into mix (drain excess grease first, if desired).
- Create four indents in hash and carefully crack one egg into each groove.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt, pepper and additional herbs, then cover and return skillet to medium heat.
- Cook until eggs are cooked to preference, 5–10 minutes.
- Serve right away and enjoy!