There’s nothing quite as fragrant as the aroma of homemade chicken and dumpling soup wafting through your home—and this satisfying soup tastes just as good as it smells!
- 3 packages Schär Gluten-Free Rosemary Table Crackers
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp water (dough)
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water (soup)
- 8 oz chicken breast
- 3/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 3/4 cup carrots, finely diced
- 3/4 cup parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- Put the crackers in a food processor or blender and pulse into fine crumbs*. This makes about 1 cup of crumbs.
- Whisk together eggs, water, and butter in a medium bowl. Stir in the cracker crumbs, green onions, cheese, nutmeg and pepper until a stiff mixture forms.
- Cover dough and chill for 30 minutes. The mixture will thicken as it chills.
- Pour chicken broth and water into a stock pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat to simmer.
- Add chicken breast to the broth and simmer chicken for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a plate to cool.
- Add celery, carrots and parsnips to the broth in the pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Meanwhile, cut the cooled chicken breast into small strips about 1 ½ inches long.
- Add the chicken back to the broth. Adjust heat to low and bring to a gentle boil.
- Form dumpling dough into balls (you can use a teaspoon, mini ice cream scooper, or hands to do this) and then drop the dumplings into the boiling soup.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover the pot, and cook dumplings for 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
*If you don’t have a food processor you can make the crumbs by placing the crackers in a large zipper-style plastic bag, sealing the bag and using a rolling pin to crush the crackers into fine crumbs.