From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
Makes about 28 cookies.
Gluten-free, egg-free, nut-free, and can be easily made lactose or dairy-free.
1. Combine the oat flour, Oonagh’s Gluten-Free Flour Mix, chopped oats, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and sugar in a bowl.
2. Heat butter and syrup gently in the microwave until the butter melts and the syrup becomes liquid. Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and baking soda.
3. Add syrup mixture to the dry ingredient mix and stir thoroughly to combine. Mixture will come together as you stir it.
4. Using a 1 tbsp. measure, scoop mix at least one inch apart on lined cookie sheet. It will be crumbly, so tidy scoops of dough back into mounds on baking sheet. Flatten slightly with fingers. You can sprinkle with regular sugar for crunchier, sweeter finish.
5. Bake in 325 degree oven for about 15-18 minutes. Cookies should be golden, not dark brown.
6. Allow to cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
Tips & Alternatives:
The raw mix will stiffen as it sits, so work quickly if you don’t have enough baking sheets.
Drizzle the cookies with melted semi-sweet or milk chocolate once they have cooled.
Think about substituting ¼ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, coconut flakes or chopped nuts for ¼ cup of chopped oats. Or sandwich two cookies around frosting or buttercream.
If you do not flatten the cookies, then cook for 20+ minutes. They will not be as crispy when cooled.