Chipotle Frito Meringues
Recipe tester: Rachelle King of Blinded by the Bite – July 16, 2012
Read Rachelle’s review of this recipe: Gluten-Free Chipotle Frito Meringues
Courtesy of Frito-Lay
These appetizers are light and crisp, but pack a warm kick of chipotle heat and earthy corn for your taste buds. Serve on a platter or as a topping for a Mexican bean salad.
Makes 15 small meringues.
Prep time: 40 minutes total, 30 minutes in the oven
2.5 Tbsp. Fritos Scoops! Corn Chips (about 13 chips)
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. chipotle seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Place Fritos Scoops! into a food processor. Pulse until Scoops! are reduced to a powder. Mix with chipotle seasoning and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whip two egg whites until they reach the stiff peak stage. Fold egg whites and chipotle mix together.
4. On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, drop about 1 tablespoon sized meringues spaced evenly apart, using two spoons to scoop and place the batter.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until slightly browned and crispy.
Meringues are best stored as soon as possible in an air tight container.