A case study from 2013 found that a plastic retainer was preventing a child with celiac disease from getting better. Gluten is an additive in methyl methacrylate, a compound found in the plastics that are used to create retainers. Once the child stopped using her retainer, her symptoms improved.
It’s important to note that this was a case study—in other words, aside from this one person, we have not heard reports of this happening to others. If your celiac disease is well-handled and you regularly use a plastic retainer, then there’s no reason to toss your retainer out.
However, if you or your child has to get a retainer or mouth guard, inquire about the materials used, and, if possible, you may want to opt for a metal and acrylic retainer rather than a plastic one.
The information below has been provided by Ted Malahias, D.D.S, Dental Consultant, Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University. These items’ gluten-free status is subject to change. Always read labels and ask questions. Please check with manufacturer if you have any questions or concerns, or if you’re unsure about a certain product.
Celiac disease patients should be confident that the products a dentist and dental hygienist use are gluten-free. In the past few years, dental manufacturers have been more forthcoming in indicating which professional products are gluten-free.
Gluten-Free Polishing Paste
The polishing paste that the hygienist uses to clean your teeth is available gluten-free. Some examples are:
- ACCLEAN PROPHY PASTE 23% APF. Henry Schein
- ACCLEAN ZERO PROPHY PASTE. Henry Schein
- UNI-PRO PROPHY PASTE. Henry Schein
- D-LISH PROPHY PASTE .Young Dental
- KOLORZ PROPHY PASTE. DMG America
- NUPRO Plus Prophy Paste. DENTSPLY Professional
- NUPRO Extra Care Prophy Paste DENTSPLY Professional
- Oral-B Prophy Paste. Young Dental
- Smart Select Selective Polishing Prophy Paste. Young Dental
- Sparkle Prophy Paste. Crosstex
- Zooby Prophy Paste Denticator
The fluoride that the hygienist applies after cleaning your teeth is available gluten-free. Some examples are:
- ACCLEAN 1.23% APF 60 second fluoride gel,
- NUPR fluoride gel DENTSPLY professional 1.23% Gel
- NUPRO Fluoride foam DENTSPLY Professional 1.23% Aerosol
- Enamel Pro non-Acidulated Fluoride Gel with ACP Premier Dental
- Kolorz Fluoride foam DMG America 1.23% APF Foam
- Kolorz Fluoride Gel DMG America 1.23% APF Gel
- Zap Fluoride Gel Crosstex 1.23% APF Gel
- Zooby Fluoride Foam Denticator 1.23% Foam
Gluten-Free Flouride Varnish
- D-LISH fluoride varnish. Young Dental
- Duraflor Halo Medicom
- ProFluorid Varnish. VOCO
- ProGuard 5% sodium fluoride Varnish. Crosstex
- Fluoride Varnish with Xylitol. Crosstex
- Zooby 5% Sodium Fluoride Varnish Denticator
- Biotene products for dry mouth are gluten-free
- Oraqix topical anesthetic is gluten-free
- Sensodyne pro enamel is gluten-free
- Tom’s of Maine toothpastes are gluten-free
- 3M Oral Care – 3M Oral care states that “Gluten is not an added component to any of 3M Oral care products. Only dental materials/products are manufactured in our plants.” Components of 3M products can be found at 3mespe.com. At the bottom of the page under “Regulatory” click “SDS Search.” Type the name of the product to which you are inquiring in the search bar. Click on Regulatory Data Sheet. Product components will be listed under the Regulatory Data sheet.
Gluten-Free Crest Products
Crest toothpastes, Crest white strips or Crest night effects and Glide dental floss are gluten-free.
Gluten-Free Colgate Products
According to Colgate, all Colgate, Ultrabrite and PreviDent toothpastes are gluten-free. In addition, all Colgate Mouthwashes are gluten-free. These include:
- Colgate Optic White Mouthwash
- Colgate Total Mouthwash
- Colgate Total Advanced ProShield Mouthwash
- Periogard Mouthwash
- Peroxyl Oral Cleanser (all varieties)
- PhosFlur (all flavors, including, Grape, Mint and Bubblegum)
The following Oral Care Device Delivery Systems are certified gluten-free:
- Colgate Optic White Toothbrush + Built In Whitening Pen
- Colgate Toothbrush + Sensitive Enamel Health Relief Pen
According to Colgate, “we do not intentionally add gluten to any of our other products. Although we obtain our ingredients from reliable and trusted suppliers who maintain our high standards for safety, quality, and efficacy, we cannot guarantee that the ingredients used have not come in contact with any gluten. Sorbitol is an ingredient which can be derived from grain and may be found in toothpastes. Our sorbitol is corn-derived.”
- Colgate Wisp
- Gel-Kam Home Care Gel
- Orabase Paste
- PreviDent Gel
- PreviDent Varnish
- PreviDent Rinse
- Colgate Total Floss
Have questions about other products? Visit Celiac Disease and Personal Hygiene Products.