Courtesy of Thai Kitchen and Michael Cohen (Recipe Contest Winner!)
This recipe won the Grand Prize in NFCA’s “Cool Weather Cooking with Thai Kitchen” Recipe Contest. Congratulations, Michael!
1. Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken generously with black pepper and lightly with salt. Add chicken to Dutch oven and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer chicken to a plate.
2. Add onion to the Dutch oven and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 the ginger, 1/2 the garlic, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
3. Add coconut milk, chicken stock, tomatoes, peanut butter, black-eyed peas, and 1 teaspoon thyme to saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce liquid by 1/3.
4. Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in sweet potato, chicken, the remaining ginger, the remaining garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato is cooked through. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
5. Serve in bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves.
Makes 4-6 entrée servings.