This is a gluten-free version of a classic comfort food. Featuring our Margherita Pizza Plentils, it’s sure to be a hit with the entire family!
Makes 12 individual meatloaves
- 10 sundried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 carrot
- ½ zucchini
- ¼ lb. mushrooms (about 5-6 medium sized)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¾ cup finely ground Enjoy Life Foods Margherita Pizza Plentils®
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal or chia meal
- 1 cup dairy-free mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1½ lb. ground beef (85% – 90% fat content)
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease the cups of a muffin pan and set aside.
- Place the sundried tomatoes in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the yellow onion, carrot, zucchini and mushrooms. Place in the bowl of a food processor along with the garlic cloves. Process until chopped, but not pureed.
- Preheat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add a glug of olive oil and heat another 30 seconds. Add the pureed vegetables and sauté until all the liquid is evaporated and vegetables are lightly browned. Add the red wine and cook until evaporated. Remove from heat and scrape into a large heatproof bowl.
- Remove sundried tomatoes from their soaking liquid, reserving cup of the liquid. Roughly chop the tomatoes and place them in the bowl of the food processor. Add the Plentils and process with the 1 Tbsp. olive oil until finely ground. Add to the bowl with the sautéed vegetables.
- Add the 2 Tbsp. chia meal or flax meal to the reserved cup of warm soaking liquid. Stir to blend, let sit 1 minute then add to the bowl with vegetables and tomato crumbs. Add the vegan mozzarella and gently stir to combine.
- Add in the dried oregano, sea salt and ground beef and mix with your hands or a spoon until thoroughly combined. Portion equally into the greased muffin tins and press down into the cups gently with your hands.
- Mix together the tomato paste and maple syrup in a small bowl and spread evenly over the individual meatloaves. Bake at 375°F for 18-20 minutes until cooked through.