From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
1. Gently heat oil in a large pan or pot. Add onions and garlic, cook covered over gentle heat until onions soften – at least 5 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and roasted red peppers and continue to cook covered over gentle heat for about 10 more minutes. The onions must be really soft or they won’t purée to a smooth sauce.
3. Add thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and paprika. Purée mixture in the pan with an immersion blender. You can also pour the mixture into a blender or food processor, then transfer back to the pot once pureed.
4. Add coconut milk and rum and gently heat until liquid is bubbling gently at the edges.
5. Add mahi mahi, scallops and shrimp. Return soup to a very gentle simmer and cook for about 3 minutes.
6. Turn off heat, add crab and stir well. Allow soup to sit for about 5 minutes until all fish is cooked through but not tough. Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve.
Tips & Alternatives:
This recipe is versatile, so swap in your favorite fish or seafood to meet your tastes.
The pureed onion creates a creamy base for this soup. It’s a trick you can apply to other soups and chowders