From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
Makes 4-8 portions, depending on appetite.
1. Place the apples in an 8” x 8” brownie pan, with the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and water. Microwave for about 4 minutes until the mix is hot and the apples are softening.
2. Stir in cornstarch.
3. Place all of the topping ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until well blended. Don’t beat for more than 2 minutes, as it toughens the mix.
4. Gently spread filling on top of apples to cover completely.
5. Sprinkle sliced almonds on top and bake in 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown throughout.
6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm or cold with sour cream.