recipe from Maria Luci, Beyond Celiac Director of Research Engagement
This recipe is from my Cuban mother, Ana, who doesn’t always love to cook but when she does she always puts a lot of love into it. She shared this and other family recipes with me when I got married. I treasure the recipe book she made me.
Gluten-Free Cuban Quesillo
- 2 cans of condensed milk
- 2 cans of evaporated milk
- 8 Tbs sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 Tbs gluten-free vanilla extract
- In a small cookie can* make caramel by mixing the 8 Tbs of sugar with 3 Tbs of water. Mix continuously over medium heat until it turns light brown.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs and vanilla. Once it’s thoroughly combined, put it in the cookie can on top of the caramel and cook in the oven at 375 degrees until you can get a toothpick to come out clean from the middle (about an hour or so).
- When the can is cool, place it in the refrigerator.
- When serving, hold it carefully so the bottom is in a pot of boiling water so the caramel melts. Turn it upside down over a large dish.
* Editor’s note: this is my mother’s wording, but I’ve seen her use spring form pans or flan molds like this one from Amazon (affiliate link).