Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cobbler
From Chef Oonagh Williams of Gluten-Free Cooking with Oonagh
A tasty fall dessert, perfect for Thanksgiving!
- 2 eggs
- 1 x 15 ounce can pumpkin
- 1 c (8 fl oz, 240 ml) evaporated milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/4 c (60ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pumpkin pie spice or more to your taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ c (2oz, 56g) butter, softened
- ⅓ c (2+1/2 oz) sugar
- 2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ c (2+1/2 oz, 70g) King Arthur all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
To roll snickerdoodles:
- ¼ c (60 ml), granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8×8” pan (2-quart baking dish) with gluten-free cooking spray; set aside.
- In a 4 cup bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Combine the 1/4 cup granulated sugar and the cinnamon. Shape chilled Snickerdoodle Topping into 16 balls. I used a one tablespoon scoop and can make just 16 balls. Roll balls in the cinnamon-sugar. Press balls to slightly flatten to 1+ 3/4-inch-diameter rounds. Place in 4 x 4 rows over pumpkin filling.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is set, edges begin to pull away from dish, snickerdoodles will have spread across custard, and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm and, if desired, with whipped cream.
- In a medium bowl beat all topping ingredients together for 2-3 minutes until soft and fluffy. This is a very soft mix, not stiff cookie dough. Cover and chill dough 1 hour or until easier to handle, then scoop immediately into cinnamon sugar, roll into a ball in sugar, slightly flatten, and gently place on custard. They might look as if they are sinking a little into custard. Snickerdoodle topping bakes up like soft, fluffy cake, snickerdoodles cooked on their own on cookie sheet, are thin and crispy.