This recipe was the grand prize winner of the 2021 Beyond Celiac Gluten-Free Holiday Recipe Contest!
Recipe by Deb Graham
Gluten-Free Pizzelles by Deb
Yields 30 cookies
Basic Vanilla Pizzelles
- 2 cups gluten-free baking mix (flour)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free vanilla extract
For flavored pizzelles add:
- Anise pizzelles: 2 tablespoons anise extract and 2 tablespoons anise seeds
- Orange pizzelles: 2 tablespoons gluten-free orange extract (or Grand Marnier) and 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Coconut pizzelles: 2 tablespoons coconut extract and 2 tablespoons lemon or orange zest
- Chocolate orange pizzelles: add ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Add the vanilla (or other flavored extract) to the melted butter and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a separate bowl until well-combined.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla in a slow, steady stream while continuing to whisk until well-blended.
- Add the baking mix and various spices or seeds, orange zest, etc., and using a rubber spatula stir everything together until just combined, but don’t over mix.
- Important—let the batter sit for 10 minutes before baking. This will create a better texture.
- Drop a rounded teaspoonful of batter into the center of a pizzelle iron.* Close lid and bake for 60–75 seconds, depending on your pizzelle iron. Check for doneness often.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
*To achieve a stained glass effect, drop a few multi-colored sprinkles on top of the batter before closing the lid.