Penne with Chicken Ragout, Fennel, and Herbs
Courtesy of Schar
Makes 2 servings
- Schar Gluten Free Penne
- 4 ounces chicken breasts
- 17 ounces fennel
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 glass brandy
- Oil as needed
- Salt and peppe
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 celery stick
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 sage leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks no larger than a hazelnut.
- Clean the fennel roots, cut into wedges and then into wafer-thin slices using a vegetable cutter.
- Heat 4 tbsps oil in a frying pan, add the fennel and sauté on a hot ring for at least 5 minutes, until it is golden brown. Add the salt and remove pan from heat.
- To prepare the ragoût, chop the onion, carrot, celery and herbs (leave bay leaf whole) and crush the garlic clove.
- Heat 5 tbsps of oil and brown the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and braise for another 5-6 minutes, until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add salt and the drained fennel and cook on a hot ring for 2 minutes stirring frequently, dilute with brandy and then remove from the heat, as soon as the brandy has evaporated.
- Remove the garlic and the bay leaf.
- Cook the pasta until “al dente”, add to the pan, followed by the butter and plenty of ground pepper. Stir everything together for about a minute.
- If necessary, dilute with a few spoonfuls of the hot pasta water. Remove from the heat, add the cheese and serve immediately.