Get a mouthful of this amazing, dairy-free Mac and Cheese recipe topped with Enjoy Life Foods Garlic and Parmesan Plentils!
Makes 10 servings.
- 8 oz. dried gluten free elbow noodles
- 2 cups béchamel sauce (*see recipe below)
- ½ cup roasted butternut squash puree (**see directions below) or canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ tsp. turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp. smoky paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 cup favorite allergy-friendly cheese shreds, split in half
- ½ cup crushed Enjoy Life Foods Garlic & Parmesan Plentils
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cool water, set aside.
- Warm the béchamel sauce in a saucepan until heated. Stir in the roasted butternut squash puree or the pumpkin puree. Add all remaining ingredients, except 1 cup of the cheese.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the cheese sauce into the pasta and pour into a greased oven safe baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheese shreds and cover with foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pasta is heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the crushed Plentils over the top for a crunchy crust!
*Béchamel Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp. allergy-friendly butter substitute
- 4 Tbsp. Enjoy Life Foods All-Purpose Flour Mix
- 2½-3 cups unsweetened, plain rice milk
- ½ tsp. salt
*Béchamel Sauce Directions:
- Melt the allergy-friendly butter in a medium saucepan.
- Sprinkle in the Enjoy Life All-Purpose Flour Mix and whisk together for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle in 2½ cups of the rice milk and continue whisking over medium heat until sauce is thickened.
**To roast a butternut squash, cut the top stem end off then cut through the middle of the squash lengthwise. Drizzle cut side with olive oil and place cut side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast at 400˚F for 30 minutes until very soft. Scoop out seeds and discard. Scoop out remaining flesh of the squash into a food processor and pulse until smooth.