Cheesy Potato Stacks
This recipe earned an honorable mention in the 2021 Beyond Celiac Gluten-Free Holiday Recipe Contest!
Recipe by Leslie Benson/My Gluten Free Cucina
Gluten-Free Cheesy Potato Stacks by Leslie (My Gluten Free Cucina)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 4 small red potatoes, skin on
- Cooking spray
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- Seasoned salt, to taste
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese (I used Red Apple Smoked Gruyere)
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- Grate the cheese and slice the potatoes very thin, using a mandoline or sharp knife. Leave some of the skins on the red potatoes for more color and texture.
- Heat the butter, milk and seasoned salt, whisking together well.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Begin layering the potatoes in the muffin cups, alternating red potato and sweet potato slices until the cups are half full. Use the smaller slices on the bottom for the best fit.
- Drizzle one tsp. of the butter mixture over each stack and top with half of the grated cheese.
- Continue layering the potatoes, mounding them to just a little higher than the top of the muffin cups (they will cook down).
- Once the cups are full, finish off the remaining butter and cheese by drizzling it over the top of the stacks. Sprinkle more seasoning over the top as well.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes, until the edges are nicely browned and the cheese has melted.
- To serve, use a spoon to carefully remove each stack and invert onto a serving platter. Garnish with fresh thyme.