Bittersweet Chocolate Pecan Pie
No Southern holiday would be complete without a pecan pie! For an extra touch, serve this pie with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Frozen gluten-free pie crust
- 1 ½ cups pecan halves or pieces
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup, molasses, maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss together the pecans, chocolate and flour in a medium bowl.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add vanilla, salt and your choice of syrup, and beat until blended; the mixture may look curdled—this is normal.
- Stir in most of the the pecan mixture. Set aside a few to top the pie.
- Transfer the filling to the pie shell, then arrange some pecans on the top.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with just a bit of melted chocolate. The pie should be set around the edges, but still jiggly at the center.
- Cool the pie completely in the pan on a wire rack and then enjoy! The pie will keep for two days at room temperature.