Baked Stuffed Basil Tomatoes
« Return to the Schär Gluten-Free Recipe Box
May 16, 2017
Courtesy of Schar
Makes 4 servings
- 1/3 cup Schar Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 mushroom caps
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 pound ground beef or turkey
- 2 Tablespoons basil
- 1 Tablespoon thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the large vine-ripened tomatoes and leave a bit of the vine on the tops. Slice off the tops and with a small spoon or measuring spoon hollow out the insides and seeds so you have plenty of room to stuff. Make sure the tomatoes can stand up on their own. If not, carefully slice a bit off the bottom to allow to stand independently.
- Finely dice the mushrooms.
- In a large sauté pan with deep sides warm the oil on medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the mushrooms soften, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the ground meat into the pan and use a wooden spoon to crumble the meat as you cook. Cook until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Add in the fresh herbs, bread crumbs and a bit of salt and pepper to the pan and stir well for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and set pan aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. and grease a small baking dish big enough to hold the tomatoes tightly with cooking spray.
- Generously fill the tomatoes with the filling mixture, pressing down firmly as you go to stuff well.
- Once stuffed, carefully transfer to the prepared baking dish. Place each top or lid onto its matching tomato.
- Bake the tomatoes at 350°F for 15 minutes until the tomatoes start to wilt.
- Serve warm, straight away.
<< Back to Recipes