Gluten-Free Snacks On-The-Go
July 25, 2012
Any suggestions for easy to locate gluten-free treats – and by treat I mean something your mom would have only let you have once in a blue moon. I found myself recently at a grocery store in rural West Virginia and really wanted some snacks for the road, only the selections were really limited. What gluten-free treats are pretty readily available, even in the middle of nowhere? Thanks!
This is a great question, especially with summer travel well underway!
My initial response to this question was to suggest naturally gluten-free snacks that are not only healthy, but delicious as well. There are so many options, but some of my favorites are nuts, trail mix (with chocolate!), sunflower seeds, string cheese, popcorn or fresh fruit topped with nut butter.
But, then I read your question more carefully, so for “once in a blue moon” special treats how about the following?
- Ice cream, no cone, or even better yet a hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and nuts! (Read labels or ask to make sure no gluten ingredients are used)
- Potato Chips (the simple kind made with potatoes, oil, and salt)
- Tortilla Chips (see above)
- Candy Bar (My personal favorite are Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Hot Tamales, and Peanut M & M’s)
- Kettle Corn (Should be gluten-free, but always double check on the ingredients)
These are just a few of my suggestions that you should be able to locate most places. For more “every now and then” ideas check out the Gluten-Free Candy List 2011 at NFCA or the Gluten-Free Snack and Candy List at Dallas R.O.C.K/DFW Celiac Support Group.
In good health,
EA Stewart, MBA, RD