Tostitos Crust Party Quiches
Recipe tester: Laura Hanley of G-Free Laura – July 13, 2012
Read Laura’s review of this recipe: Gluten-Free Frito-Lay
Courtesy of Frito-Lay
This main dish is portioned up just right for brunch guests. A warm and soft, corn flavored crust wraps up a veggie dense quiche, topped with blue cheese and cilantro.
Makes 3 individual quiches.
Prep time: 40 minutes total, 30 minutes in the oven
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- black pepper
- gluten-free cooking spray
- 20 Tostitos Restaurant Style tortilla chips
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. blue cheese
For the crust:
1. Place Tostitos in a food processor and pulse until the chips are a coarse meal. Add 1 tablespoon melted butter to the chips and pulse once more.
2. Spray ramekins with cooking spray, being sure to swipe the interior walls of the vessel.
3. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the Tostitos coarse meal into each ramekin. Starting with the walls, press the Tostitos to create a packed crust. Press remaining Tostitos to create the base of the crust in the ramekin. Bake on a baking sheet for 10 minutes at 350 F.
For the quiche:
1. Chop the onion, spinach and tomatoes. Add chopped ingredients to the baked crust.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk one egg. Slowly add milk, whisking, until the egg mixture turns a pale yellow color (approximately 1/4 cup of milk). Add black pepper to the egg mixture.
3. Pour egg mixture over chopped vegetables in the quiche crust until each ramekin is full.
4. Bake ramekins on a baking sheet at 350 F for 15-20 minutes. The quiche is done when a knife can be inserted into the quiche and be drawn out cleanly.
5. Add blue cheese to the top of each quiche and broil until the cheese begins to melt and bubble. Remove from oven.
Wait for the quiche to cool slightly (about 5 minutes). Take a sharp knife between the ramekin and the quiche crust to loosen. Flip the ramekins over to remove the entire quiche. Place the quiches upright and top with fresh cilantro.