EFFECTIVE DATE: March 11, 2015
What Information Do We Collect About You and Why?
We may collect information about you directly from you and from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our Site or Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You. You may view our Site and use many of our Services without submitting any personal information. However, we may collect information from you if you agree to participate in surveys, questionnaires or research projects, including name, contact information, demographics, health information and history. We also collect your name and contact information if you sign up to receive newsletters, information and alerts from us, or from our partners. In addition, if you make a donation to us, we receive information about your donation including your name and contact information, donation amount and any other information you submit (other than your credit card number); we use a third party to process credit card payments and do not collect or receive your credit card number directly.
Content You Post. Through our Site, you may be able to comment or post other content, or otherwise link your blog to our Site. If you do, we collect information about you and the content that you post.
Information We Collect Automatically. We may automatically collect the following information about your use of our Site or Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies: your domain name; your browser type and operating system; web pages you view; links you click; your IP address; the length of time you visit our Site and or use our Services; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our Site, date and time stamp for your access and activities; device ID; domain name; page views and referring URL. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services.
- To conduct research and analysis, and awareness campaigns, related to celiac disease.
- To send you newsletters and other information. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. .
- To better understand how users access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences, understand trends, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- To develop aggregate or de-identified reports.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your information, including personal information, as follows:
- Other Users . Any information that you post to our Site, including, without limitation, reviews, comments, and text will be available to, and searchable by, all other users of the Site and Services.
- Research Partners. If you disclose information about yourself and history with celiac disease to us (e.g., such as through surveys and questionnaires), we may share that information with our research partners, but we will first remove your name, contact information and other direct identifiers. This information may be used to conduct research studies and perform similar analysis. We may also contact you to invite you to participate in additional research; as part of this, you may be asked to share additional information with us and with the research organization. Your participation is voluntary.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may create and share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, trend analysis, advertising, research or similar purposes. However, such information will not identify a particular user or company.
- Note : To request that Beyond Celiac refrain from using your personal information with Research Partners, Service Providers, or in the case of Business Transfers, inclusion of your personal information in Aggregate or De-Identified Information, please contact us at [email protected].
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies). We do not track your activity after you leave our Site.
Cookies . Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Site and Services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our Site and Service. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our Site who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the Site, but some features may not function.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (also known as web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content and compile statistics about Site usage. We or our service providers may also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed and track whether our emails are forwarded.
User Generated Content
We may invite you to post content on our Site, including your comments, pictures, and any other information. If you post content to our Site (e.g., comments or product listings/inventory), all of the information that you post will be available to all registered users on our Site. If you post your own content on our Site or Services, your posting may become public and Beyond Celiaccannot prevent such information from being used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
Our Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your computer or device, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer..
What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Information?
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us. In addition, if you would like to review and/or correct any of your personal information that we have gathered, please notify us @ [email protected]/a>
Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. We will not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13, without their parents’ consent.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at [email protected].
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at www.BeyondCeliac.org/Privacy-Policy/27. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site, or emailing your email address of record with us.