Join Beyond Celiac as we help at-risk relatives of the diagnosed in North Carolina receive a free blood test for celiac disease.
Beyond Celiac is excited to announce that we have partnered with Thermo Fisher Scientific and Dr. Schar USA Inc. to award Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center (WFBMC) in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a $20,000 grant to help support a one-day family screening event on Saturday, October 22, 2016.
The special event will provide free blood tests for 300 biological relatives of patients diagnosed with celiac disease.
The event is open only to adults who:
- Are 18 years and older
- Have a blood relative who has been diagnosed with celiac disease by a physician
- Are on a regular, gluten-containing diet
Adults who have previously been tested for the celiac disease genes and know that they do not carry the HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8 genes are not eligible to participate in this event. (While not everyone with these genes will go on to develop celiac disease, only a person with these genes is at-risk for celiac disease.)
We invite people in the Winston-Salem, NC area to get involved. You can learn more about the event, including how to register, at www.BrennerChildrens.org/SeriouslyCeliac.
Throughout the day, a panel of experts will be available to answer questions about celiac disease, including:
- Alice Bast, CEO, Beyond Celiac
- Elizabeth T. Jensen, MPH, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- Anne Lee, EdD, RDN, LD, Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University
- Daniel A. Leffler, MD, MS, Director of Research at The Celiac Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Beyond Celiac Scientific/Medical Advisory Council member
- Anca Safta, MD, GLADD Program Director, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
- Anagh A. Vora, MD, US Medical Director, Autoimmunity, ImmunoDiagnostics, ThermoScientific, Phadia US Inc.
Date: Saturday, October 22, 2016
Time: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Location: Wake Forest Baptist Health Medical Plaza – Clemmons
2311 Lewisville-Clemmons Road, Clemmons, North Carolina 27012
Questions should be directed to Kristin Voorhees, MA, Director of Healthcare Initiatives: [email protected]