From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
A special gluten-free dessert for Cinco de Mayo as well as any party, especially garnished with lots of lovely summer fruits, strawberries, raspberries, nectarines or mangoes.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Scant 1 cup (90 g) Oonagh’s gluten-free flour mix or cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Add zest of orange for orange liqueur version, or a splash of instant coffee and Kahlua
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk (shake the can before opening)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. rum, or orange liqueur for orange version
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a grease-free 8-cup bowl, whisk egg whites until they are stiff. Add half of the granulated sugar and whisk until stiff again. Fold in remaining half of granulated sugar.
- In separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt until thick, creamy and light in color (about 4 minutes). Note that the color will not be the normal vibrant yellow to start due to browning caused by vanilla extract.
- Gently fold egg yolk mix into egg white mix, taking care not to deflate. Add orange zest or instant coffee and Kahlua as you fold yolks into whites. Use a large stainless steel spoon and fold in figure-eight motion. Do not over mix.
- Mix together flour and baking powder, then sift onto egg mix and gently fold in. Scrape down sides gently with spatula and reach to bottom of bowl with spatula so everything is mixed in, but still keeps the batter fluffy. This is not a time to beat vigorously.
- Gently spoon batter into greased 8×8 pan and gently level out. Bake for about 35 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Mix syrup ingredients together in a small non-stick pan or microwave safe bowl and heat slightly until well-blended. Stir well.
- Poke holes over top of baked cake. Pour prepared syrup onto cake. The cake will look as if it is swimming in syrup initially and it might not absorb all of the syrup. Pour off excess and drizzle over slices of cake upon serving. This cake should be wet, so syrup oozing onto the plate is normal. Garnish with the fruit and whipped cream of your choice.
- Leave to finish cooling. Then chill. Remove from fridge at least 15 minutes before serving.