These incredible gluten-free pork sliders are bursting with herbs and flavors that will make you think you’ve just taken a trip to Vietnam. Citrusy lemongrass, fresh mint, basil and cilantro, a gentle heat from the chilies…this is certainly not your average burger. Our Schär ciabatta rolls are the perfect roll to hold all this deliciousness, which you can warm up a bit before slicing if desired.
We so hope you make these for your next barbecue and just brace yourself know for the compliments and the “where did you get this recipe?!” You’re welcome.
For the sliders:
2 ½ Tablespoons fish sauce
1 stalk lemongrass
1 hot pepper
1 pound ground pork mince
3 green onions
2 Tablespoons cilantro
1 Tablespoon mint leaf
1 Tablespoon basil
1 Tablespoon tapioca flour, plus extra for dusting
Pinch/es of sugar
Pinch/es of salt
For the sauce:
For the rest:
- 8 lettuce leaves
8 basil leaves
1/2 cup carrots
2 teaspoons rice wine
- Grease a large sheet pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small 1 quart saucepan, gently warm the fish sauce and finely chopped lemongrass (any discolored outer leaves should discarded) together on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes to soften the lemongrass slightly. Turn off heat and allow the mixture to cook fully.
- Spread some tapioca flour onto a cutting board or work surface, about 2 tablespoons.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the seeded and finely chopped red chili, ground pork, finely chopped green onions, chopped fresh herbs, tapioca flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the cooled fish sauce/lemongrass mixture and mix well with either clean hands or a large wooden spoon till all is well combined.
- Portion out one patty, carefully divvying up the pork mixture to yield you four patties in total. Make the patty with your hands then bring over to the cutting board or surface that has been coated with a bit more of the tapioca flour.
- Gently dust to patty with a bit of the tapioca flour so each side is covered. Transfer this to the prepared greased sheet pan.
- Chill these in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set. While they are chilling pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- After the 10 minutes chilling time, bake the sliders at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes until fully cooked through and when inserted with a digital thermometer the internal temperature reads 160 degrees F.
- While the sliders are baking make the aioli: add all of the sauce ingredients together into a small mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- In another small mixing bowl add the shredded carrots and the mirin cooking wine together, stir and set aside until assembly.
- To assemble, first slice the ciabatta rolls in half. Schmear a bit of the aioli onto both sides of each ciabatta roll. Next add 2 basil leaves for each sandwich, then 2 lettuce leaves. Divide the 4 sliders onto the bottom roll halves and top with a bit of the pickled shredded carrots and a bit more aioli if desired. Put the tops onto the bottom halves and slice in half if desired.