From Jackie Ourman of C.A.F.E.
- 1 ¼ cup ground cornmeal
- ¾ cup gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed, plus additional for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 stick butter
- ¼ cup honey
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and place a 10-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat it while you prepare the batter
- Melt butter in a small saucepan
- Whisk together cornmeal, gluten-free flour blend, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk all remaining items into the bowl, reserving about 1 Tbsp. of butter for the skillet.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Coat the bottom and sides of the hot skillet with the remaining butter.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and place it in the center of the oven.
- Bake until the center is firm and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes and serve.
- Whip together butter and honey and keep at room temperature until ready to serve. Store any remaining in the refrigerator.