- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 4 Tbsp. arrow root
- ½ tsp. xantham gum
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 12 Tbsp. coconut oil, plus more for pan
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cup Scharffen Berger semisweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, arrowroot, xantham gum, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Stir in the coconut oil, apple sauce, sugars and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and pour batter into tin.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake stand in tin for 10 minutes, then flip onto cake stand or plate to fully cool.
- Slice each cake in half, crossways.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand and fill with a third of the mousse (recipe below). Smooth out the mousse with a spatula and top with another layer of cake. Continue until you’ve completed the cake.
- Pour warm ganache (recipe below) over the top of the cake to finish.
- 2 Tbsp. kuzu starch
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup coconut milk (full-fat)
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- ¼ cup Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- tsp. cayenne
- Small pinch of salt
- 6 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups coconut whipped cream (recipe below)
- Mix the kuzu with 2 Tbsp. of almond milk until dissolved in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, spices and salt together in a medium size saucepan. Make sure there are no lumps. Add about 1 cup of almond milk and agave nectar and mix until thoroughly combined with no lumps. Stir in the rest of the almond milk and simmer over medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Add the kuzu mixture and blend until thickened. This will happen quickly, so keep your eye on it. Take it off of the heat and add in the vanilla. It should be very thick. Stir together and set in the fridge over night.
- When ready to serve, take the set pudding out of the fridge, pour off any liquid that separated on top and then pour the pudding it into a large bowl.
- Fold one-third of the coconut whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remainder of the cream just until incorporated, but don’t overdo it or the mousse will lose volume.
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 15 oz. can coconut milk (full-fat is necessary)
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Coconut Whipped Cream Directions:
- Set the can in the fridge overnight so that the coconut fat solids separate from the coconut water.
- Open the can and carefully pour out the thick coconut cream. With an electric whisk, beat the cream, agave and vanilla extract on very stiff until peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes. You need it very stiff so it can support the pudding.
Vegan Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
- 3 oz. Scharffen Berger bittersweet chocolate
- ¼ cup coconut milk (full-fat)
Vegan Chocolate Ganache Directions:
- Heat up the coconut milk until just simmering and pour over the chocolate.
- Stir gently until the chocolate is fully melted and a smooth ganache is formed. Add more coconut milk if it needs to be any thinner.