Courtesy of Annette Pugliese at Best Life Gluten Free
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. gluten-free Italian sweet sausage (remove from casings and break apart)
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14 oz. can gluten-free chicken broth
- 14 oz. water
- 1 8 oz. can plain tomato sauce
- 3-4 Yukon Gold Potatoes (peel and chop into ½” pieces)
- ½ tsp. Italian spices (combination of dried basil, oregano, and thyme)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups spinach, kale, or chard, washed and chopped to 3” pieces
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
- In a soup pot, heat the oil and then brown the sausage. Use medium-low heat. Stir around as it browns. This takes only a couple of minutes.
- Remove to a plate. In the same oil, sauté the onion first. When translucent, add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Don’t allow to brown.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, water and spices and cover pot. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cover the pot. Simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the spinach and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Plate your soup and garnish with a few bits of parsley flakes.
- Feel free to sprinkle some grated Italian cheese on top, too.