By Chef Edgar Steele
NFCA Chef Spokesman
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 4 slices Prosciutto
- Fresh Mozzarella or Fontina cheese
- Gluten free pesto sauce
- Fresh basil leaves
- Sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 cup Pecans
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 beaten egg
- Slice each chicken breast in 2 long pieces then place between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound until thin (about 1/8 thick).
- Place 1 slice of prosciutto, cheese, pesto sauce, sundried tomatoes and basil leaves (each ingredient can be added in the quantity desired) on top of the chicken breast. Roll up each piece of chicken into a tight log making sure to roll it down the length of the slice, not across the width. Fasten each roll with twine. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the pecans, thyme, cumin and salt in a food processor. Combine the mixture with the bread crumbs. First coat the chicken with flour, then coat it with the beaten egg and bread crumbs until completely covered.
- Fry the breaded chicken in 350°F vegetable oil until golden and then remove the twine. Place the chicken roll in an oven set at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F. If you prefer not to fry the chicken, you may sear it in a hot sauté pan with a littler oil and finish it in the oven as directed above.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the oven and slice it into pieces. Serve it with any accompaniment you choose.