Smokey Roasted Red Pepper Soup
« Return to the Schär Gluten-Free Recipe Box
May 16, 2017
Courtesy of Schar
Makes 4 servings
- 2 Schar Gluten Free Multigrain Ciabatta
- 2 medium (de-seeded) re bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large garlic gloves, peeled
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 + 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
For the coutrons:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the bell peppers, onions and garlic cloves in a medium bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top along with ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika, a bit of salt and pepper and the cayenne pepper.
- Stir all together to well coat all the vegetables in the oil and spice mixture before spreading it all out on an ungreased baking tray, in one even layer.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes, until well roasted and the peppers have a bit of blackened char on them.
- Pull out of the oven and allow to cool slightly before handling.
- While allowing the vegetables to cool and with the oven still on at 375 F, make the garlicky croutons now.
- Cut the ciabattas in half lengthwise. Then cut each half into thirds and then into thirds again to give you equal size crouton chunks. Place into a medium bowl.
- Add the garlic paste, olive oil and a generous bit of cracked black pepper and salt to the ciabatta chunks and stir all together well to coat the croutons as evenly as possible.
- Place on an ungreased baking tray, spreading out evenly.
- Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes until brown and crispy. Be careful to not burn or over-bake them, keeping in mind all ovens vary, so keep an eye on them.
- Once cooked, turn off oven and set the croutons aside for later.
- To finish the soup; add the roasted vegetables and the diced tomatoes into a blender and blend on high until all is well mixed and blended and no chunks remain.
- Transfer this mixture to a medium soup pan and bring up to temperature on medium heat.
- Add the remaining 1/ 4 teaspoon of the smoked paprika, a generous bit of freshly cracked pepper and salt. Stir well, taste and re-season if desired.
- Serve warm with a nice sprinkling of the croutons.
<< Back to Recipes