- 10 eggs, separated
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Blue Diamond Almond Nut Thin Crackers, ground (approximately 8 crackers)
- 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 1/3 cups Blue Diamond blanched almonds finely ground
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
- ½ lb. soft butter
- ¼ cup sliced toasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and gradually beat in one cup of the sugar. Fold in the cracker crumbs, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Fold in the ground almonds and divide the mixture among four greased nine inch pans, lined on the bottom with parchment paper.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until layers are faintly browned. Cool on a rack.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly. Place the yolks and the remaining sugar in the top of a double boiler and cook over hot water stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Remove from the hot water, beat in the chocolate and gradually beat in the butter.
- Refrigerate until mixture is spreading consistency. This will be used to fill and frost the layers. Refrigerate until firm. Then, assemble in nine inch spring form pan, alternating torte and frosting. Refrigerate until firm.
- Meanwhile, make ganache by chopping chocolate and placing in a heatproof bowl. Microwave cream and butter until it boils. Pour over chocolate, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove plastic and stir until thick, smooth and slightly cooled.
- Remove torte from refrigerator and pour ganache over top. Again cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ganache has set, about 1 hour.
- Remove torte from refrigerator and unmold from spring form pan. Place torte on a serving platter. Cover sides with reserved whipped cream frosting and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Store in refrigerator until serving.
Get a free eCookbook!
Want more gluten-free recipes from Blue Diamond? Take the Pledge today and you’ll automatically receive a free eCookbook from NFCA and Blue Diamond. Learn more here.