Rice with chicken (Arroz con pollo)
By Chef Edgar Steele
NFCA Chef Spokesman
- 2 1/2 cups rice, preferably short grain
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried orégano
- 1/2 cup chorizo, diced
- 1/4 cup ham of your choice, diced
- green olives (optional)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- Break the chicken into breasts, thighs, drumsticks and wings or buy each part individually. Season all of the pieces with salt and pepper. Heat enough vegetable oil in a saucepot to coat the bottom of the pan. Sear the chicken parts on all sides (making sure oil is hot before searing it) until golden brown. When finished, take them out and put them on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- In the same pot where chicken was seared, add the tomato paste and a pinch of saffron, keep stirring it for 5 minutes then add the diced onions and the red peppers. When they’re half way cooked add the chorizo, ham, olives, oregano and garlic.
- Place the seared chickens back in the pot and add the 3 cups of rice and salt. Stir everything together and add the 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock and the bay leaf. Taste the liquid and adjust the seasoning. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat until the liquid has evaporated almost completely and lower heat to low. Cover and stir every 10 minutes. After 30 minutes the rice should be finished cooking and the chicken will be cooked.