Makes 1 serving
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. of your favorite salsa
- ½ Cup of arugula
- 2 Tbsp. of Vegetarian Green Chile (optional)*
- 2 Rudi’s Gluten-Free Tortillas
- ½ Avocado
- 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F. Place an ovenproof plate on oven rack to warm.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Stack 2 tortillas in skillet and cook 30 seconds, then flip stack over with tongs and cook 30 seconds more.
- While second tortilla cooks on bottom, turn top tortilla over with tongs, keeping tortillas stacked. Flip stack again and cook in same manner, turning over the top tortilla and flipping the stack again so that both tortillas are softened and both sides puff slightly, then deflate (do not let them become browned or crisp).
- Wrap tortillas loosely in foil and keep warm in oven.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then crack 2 eggs into skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes for runny yolks, or to desired doneness. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 2 Tbsp. of salsa onto the tortilla. Transfer 2 eggs to tortillas and top with some of remaining salsa. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Garnish each Huevo Ranchero with a ¼ cup of arugula and sliced avocado.
*Here’s a link for vegetarian green chile: Vegetarian Green Chile Recipe. Note, you will have to cook the green chile the night before you serve your Huevos.