Courtesy of Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bakery and
John Inderdohnen of Centereach, NY
[This recipe was a runner-up in Rudi’s Unbelievably Good Gluten-Free Recipe Contest. Stay tuned for a new episode of NFCA’s Alternative Appetites cooking videos, featuring the winning recipe from this contest!]
Time to Prepare:30 mins
1. Butter one side of Rudy’s Original Gluten-Free bread. Place buttered side down in flat frying pan or skillet. Spread pesto on the face-up side of the bread.
2. Place tomato slices in a single layer on top of pesto. Place mozzarella slices on top of tomato slices.
3. Butter one side of remaining Rudy’s Original Gluten-Free bread, and place on top of cheese, buttered side up.
4. Turn on stove to medium. Grill until first side is nicely browned, then carefully flip to grill second side. The second side will take about half as long as the first to reach grilled perfection.
Make Your Own Pesto
1. Lightly toast pine nuts over medium heat in an ungreased pan until they are just a little fragrant and start to show some color. Set aside to cool.
2. Take the washed and dried basil leaves and place in a food processor, removing any thick or woody stems. Pulse the processor until leaves are roughly chopped. Add nuts (you can use walnuts if pine nuts are unavailable or too expensive), minced garlic, and the cheese. Pulse again to chop and distribute.
3. While the food processor is on a low, constant setting, drizzle in the olive oil. Process until smooth. Pesto should not be soupy.
4. Pulse in the salt and pepper. Refrigerate any unused pesto.
*For more family friendly meal ideas, visit Rudi’s Gluten-Free Recipe Box on beyondceliac.org.