Courtesy of Chef Dan Kohler, Renegade Kitchen
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Begin with the crust! In a food processor buzz together all the dry ingredients for the crust.
3. Add the vegetable shortening in spoonfuls and pulse the mixture until it resembles sand.
4. Dump the mixture into a 10 inch tart pan and press it into place using your fingers and/or a fork. Make sure to push the crust up the sides!
5. Bake this for 15-20 minutes, or until light brown and toasted.
6. Allow the crust to cool while you make the frangipane!
7. In a food processor, buzz together the coconut oil and palm sugar.
8. Add the almond meal, rice flour and arrowroot and pulse until well blended.
9. Add the egg and egg white and blend until smooth, about one minute.
10. Add the almond and vanilla extracts and pulse until combined.
11. Set this aside and get started on the caramelized apples.
12. In a saute pan over medium-low heat, stir the sugar and coconut milk. Let it bubble and thicken slightly, about 5 minutes.
13. Add the apples, lemon juice and cinnamon and cook until syrupy over medium heat. The apples should be soft but not mushy, about 10 minutes. Set this aside.
14. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
15. Get started with the assembly line! Spread the frangipane into the cooled tart shell. Arrange the apples however you like (fancy or floozy, it all tastes the same). Slide the completed tart into the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the frangipane rises slightly and is golden all over.
Prep. Time: 2 hours
Baking Time: 45 minutes, divided
Yield: 1 10 inch tart
Free of Gluten, Dairy, Processed Sugar, Corn, and Soy.
Frangipane adapted from Anita Chu, DessertFirst.typepad.com