Courtesy of Allergic Living and Alisa Fleming
Makes 14 pancakes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted dairy-free margarine
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs or 1 Tbsp. egg replacer + 2 Tbsp. warm water
- 1 1/4 -1 3/4 cup unsweetened or original non-dairy milk alternative (such as rice, flax, or coconut milk beverage)
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 batch Maple Glaze (recipe follows) or additional maple syrup for topping
- Place the cinnamon filling ingredients in a ziplock plastic bag, close the top, and squeeze to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, starches, baking powder, and salt.
- ln a mixing bowl, briefly whip the eggs or egg replacer with water. Whisk in 1¼ cup milk alternative, oil, maple, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, whisking just until combined.
- Add up to ½ cup additional milk alternative (or as needed) to create a pourable but slightly thick batter. Less liquid will be required for puffier pancakes, while more liquid might be needed at higher altitudes or if using the non-gluten-free option (at end of recipe). Let batter rest while you preheat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Once hot, grease the griddle with cooking spray or dairy-free margarine.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and cook for 2 minutes.
- Snip a very small corner from the bottom of the plastic bag, and squeeze the filling onto the pancake, starting in the centre, and swirling outward, like you would see on a cinnamon roll. Try to keep the filling at least 1/2-inch from the edge.
- Let the pancakes cook a few more minutes, or until bubbles form in the batter.
- Flip, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.Note that the gluten-free pancakes may not brown, but they will have a light and fluffy finish.
- Remove to serving plates and drizzle with pure maple syrup or the Maple Glaze, if desired.
Maple Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar, 3 Tbsp. maple syrup, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1 Tbsp. dairy-free margarine until smooth.