From “A Primitive Diet” by Beverly Southam
- 1 large eggplant cut into thin slices
- 4 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 sticks celery sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers rinsed under water to remove white vinegar
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Dash of salt
- Grind of pepper
- Lettuce leaves and fresh sprouts for serving
- Lightly sprinkle both sides of eggplant with salt and leave to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Shake together the olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt and pepper and set aside for flavors to develop.
- Rinse salt from eggplant and let the slices dry.
- Fry quickly in a little olive oil in a frying pan til both sides are golden brown, the remove and cut into large cubes.
- Place in a bowl and lightly mix the dressing through and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
- Gently toss with all remaining ingredients except lettuce and sprouts.
- Serve in salad bowls on a bed of lettuce and the mixed sprouts.