Courtesy of Allergic Living and Chef Simon Clarke
- 6-8 medium red beets, peeled
- 8 cups gluten-free vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 cup sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. chipotle peppers (canned), minced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil to 350° F. (A candy thermometer is ideal for this.)
- Meanwhile, using a mandolin slicer, slice beets into wafer-thin rounds.
- In a large bowl, toss beet slices with cornstarch.
- Fry the beets in the oil in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, transfer cooked chips to a cookie sheet lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- For the aioli, combine chipotle peppers with mayo. Place into dipping bowl and serve with beet chips.