Courtesy of Bard’s Beer and Jen & Ashley of Gluten-Free Richmond
Gluten-Free Beer Batter
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 cup gluten-free beer
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add all ingredients except the beer.
- While whisking, start to incorporate the beer by adding 1/2 cup first and then more to thin out as necessary.
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp. chopped chives
- 3 leaves fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 4-6 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 6-8 squash blossoms
- Start by whisking together the cheese, herbs and seasonings in a small mixing bowl.
- Load the cheese mixture to a piping bag or sandwich bag with a corner cut off.
- Gently squeeze the mixture into open blossoms and twist tops to close.
- Once assembled, carefully dredge in the beer batter and drop into canola oil to fry. They will brown up quickly so don’t walk away from the fryer or pan. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt right as they come out of the oil and enjoy them while they are nice and hot
To view a step-by-step video for making the gluten-free beer batter, visit GlutenFreeInRichmond.com.