From Chef Oonagh Williams ofRoyal Temptations Catering
Serves 4 people generously, but will stretch to 6-8 people for a meal of more than three courses or a buffet.
1. Melt butter in microwave, then cook onions and garlic together in the microwave until translucent.
2. Transfer mixture to a non-stick saucepan over medium heat and let them start browning. Turn up the heat, add beef strips, and sauté until beef is evenly seared.
3. Add mustard, tomato ketchup, beef stock, salt and ground pepper, stir well, turn heat to as low as possible. Cover pan and simmer for at least 20 minutes until beef is tender. This can take up to 45 minutes depending on the quality of sirloin, size of the pieces and the pan used. Check the pan occasionally and add ½-1 c water if it the mixture appears to be going dry. If you have a slow cooker, this is where it comes in handy.
4. Once meat is tender, increase heat, add mushrooms and quickly cook with meat mix.
5. Depending on the amount of juice that is left, thicken with cornstarch and add sour cream once cornstarch has cooked out. Very little seasoning is necessary, as the ketchup and mustard add a nice flavor. Serve with rice or noodles and salad or vegetables.
Tips & Alternatives:I normally buy ½ lb raw sirloin steak per person for a normal appetite. This allows for removing fat, gristle, etc., and still leaving enough meat. The meat is far easier to cut into thin strips when it is still semi-frozen.
The use of ketchup may seem strange, but it’s much easier to find, use and store than tomato paste is. You can also cook this with boneless, skinless chicken breast or pork sirloin and cook for less time. If you dislike mushrooms, substitute a mix of colored bell peppers – about the equivalent of 2 smaller peppers. You’ll notice a difference when using full fat vs. lite sour cream; however, I prefer the lite version since I’ve been using it for so long.
This recipe can be easily multiplied and freezes well if you stop at the step when mushrooms are added.
Always check the label to ensure ingredients are gluten-free.