From Sherrie Scaglione of With Food + Love and winner of the Gluten-Free Choices Spring Recipe Contest
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups Aborio rice
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pot bring the water or vegetable broth to a boil. Once it is boiling turn down the heat and keep it at a simmer. You will use this liquid to add to the rice one cup at a time until it is all absorbed. Do not rinse the rice beforehand, in doing so you will wash away the starches that help make risotto creamy.
- In a large sauté pan, warm the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic and shallots and cook for about 5 minutes or until they start to lightly brown. Then add the rice and stir well. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Ladle 1 cup of the liquid into the rice mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step, adding 1 cup of liquid at a time until the rice is cooked through but still a tad firm. This will take about 35-45 minutes total. You may not need to use all of the liquid or you may need to use a little more, just keep adding until you get a loose and creamy texture.
- Cut asparagus into bit sized pieces and steam until a bright green color develops about 3-4 minutes. Do not overcook.
- 2 cups of steamed peas
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and coarse ground pepper, to taste
- Combine all of the pesto ingredients together in a food processor and pulse until blended smooth. Spoon a generous dollop of pesto onto the risotto and enjoy!
Stay tuned for the free downloadable eCookbook, featuring the top recipes from the Gluten-Free Choices Spring Recipe Contest! Be one of the firsts to get your copy by signing up here.