Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 lbs.) - peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large apples (preferably Honeycrisp or Gala) - peeled, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots - peeled, quartered and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small piece ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. cardamom
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 quart gluten-free chicken broth or gluten-free vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Honey, for serving
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, stir together the oil and 2 Tbsp. butter until melted. Add the squash, apples, carrots and onions; stir to coat. Continue cooking until the onion is softened and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, thyme and cardamom, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Pour in the cider and stir, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half. Add the broth and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the squash is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender and working in batches, blend the soup until smooth. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Swirl in the remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and stir to combine. Divide the soup among 4 bowls and top each with a generous drizzle of honey.