From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- 1 cup Oonagh’s Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum - essential
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup buttermilk (plus more as needed)
- 1 + 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. potato flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a wide shallow bowl, mix together gluten-free flour mix, brown rice flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum and sugar.
- Rub butter into flour mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir baking soda and potato flour into buttermilk.
- Stir buttermilk mix into dry mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until mix resembles a sticky dough - almost a paste, not a dry dough. Depending on the brands you use, the flour mix might suck up liquid and be quite dry, needing more of the buttermilk. Start at ¾ cup and add more. I normally have to use ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp. for this mix.
- Gather dough together and pat with wet hands into a roughly 6-7” round on a lined cookie sheet. Use a spatula to mark the dough into four quarters.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-60 minutes. Cook until bread is well risen, hard on top and sounds hollow if you tap the bottom of the bread.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.