From Alyssa Rimmer of Simply Quinoa
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 15 minutes
Makes 6 - 8 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, seeded & chopped
- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet potato
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 habanero peppers, diced (optional)
- 1 (25 oz.) can of kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (28 oz.) can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 - 1 ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. gluten-free cornmeal
- Add all ingredients into a crock pot (minus the cornmeal). Turn on high and cook for 4 hours, turn down to low and continue to cook until ready to serve.
- Stir in cornmeal 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, avocado, etc. Whatever you like best - you can't go wrong!
- If you don't have the option to turn your crock-pot down after four hours (like you're at work), just leave it on low for 6 - 8 hours and the results will be the same.
- If you don't want a spicy chili, just forgo the habaneros and cayenne pepper - it will still taste delicious!