From Annette Marie of Best Life Gluten-Free
Makes 4 servings
- 2 slices (totals about 3 oz.) gluten-free prosciutto.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- One 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and chopped into ½ in. pieces. (Or buy a package already cleaned and cut. That saves the work if you’re pressed for time.)
- 1 tsp. sage, minced into small pieces.
- 1 small yellow onion (about 1 ½ in in diameter), sliced into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 12 oz. gluten-free fettuccine or spaghetti
- ¼ cup fresh grated Italian cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano used in the photo)
- A few slivers, shaved off a block of that cheese if possible (optional, of course)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- Slice the prosciutto into ¼ in. pieces.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and then sauté the prosciutto bits until crisp. Use medium heat. Remove from skillet to a small dish, but save the pan.
- Add squash, onion and garlic to that pan (it should have the juices from the prosciutto). Cook until onion is translucent (about 5-6 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and simmer veggies until soft (about 15 minutes). The liquid should have reduced by about half. When it’s fork-tender and breaking apart when pricked, shut heat.
- Set pan aside a few minutes to cool slightly. While it’s cooling, put up a pot of salted water for the pasta. Cook pasta when boiling.
- Pour squash mixture into a blender or small food processor
- Puree for a minute. Add the coconut milk and 1 tsp. grated cheese. Puree again. It should be creamy and silky.
- Take that pan which you left aside but didn’t wash, and put the sauce in it. When the pasta is “al dente,” drain, but save about 1 cup of the liquid, and place strained pasta in the pan with the sauce. Place heat on low and using a wooden spoon, combine as you stir or toss. If it seems dry, add a Tbsp. of the reserved pasta water and stir in.
- When plating, sprinkle the prosciutto bits and sage all over top. Then sprinkle cheese on as well.