Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 3 cups Pamela's All-Purpose Flour Artisan Blend
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 8 Tbsp. shortening, chilled and cubed
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- ⅓ cup ice water, plus up to 1 Tbsp. if necessary
- Cream for brushing pie dough before baking, option
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pumkin, cooked, drained and pureed
- 1 (14 oz.) can evaporated milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. powdered ginger
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg or allspice
- Dash cloves
- Make the dough first, before the pie filling. Let it set up and get cold before filling; it will be much easier to handle and fill.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. With paddle attachment, pastry blender or using fingers, cut butter and shortening into dry mixture until pea-sized crumbs are formed. Slowly add ice water just until dough comes together (not sticky). Add 1 tsp. additional water at a time if dough is too dry.
- Divide dough in half and roll between sheets of parchment or plastic wrap, to about 1/8" thick. Peel off top layer and invert into lightly greased pie plate. Peel off second sheet and fix crust edge. Cover and chill dough before filling.
- Preheat oven to 425°F with rack in lower third of oven.
- Beat eggs and add sugars, mixing well. Mix in the pumpkin. Add condensed milk, mix well, and finally add the salt and spices. Mix well again and pour into the pie shell.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425°F, then reduce heat to 350°F and bake about 45 minutes or longer until center is set or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
Chef's Note: If not using pie crust right away, pie crust may be frozen for later use; wrap in plastic and freeze. You can fill a frozen pie crust and put into the bottom third of a preheated oven, without thawing, and bake as normal.