Courtesy of Three Bakers and Angela Litzinger
Meatball Subs are a great meal on a cool fall evening, for a game day meal or just as a comforting meal after a long day. Fortunately, this recipe is a snap to pull together. The meatballs bake up while the sauce is cooking, so your family can dig in right away.
- 2 slices Three Bakers 7 Ancient Grains Bread
- 1½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
Marinara Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves, minced
- 1 package Three Bakers Hoagie Rolls
- 4 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- Fresh Italian parsley for garnish, minced, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Oil a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- Grind the Three Bakers Ancient Grains Bread into fine crumbs in a food processor. Pour crumbs into a large bowl. Add ground beef, egg, onion, first measure of garlic, Italian seasoning, first measure of Italian parsley, salt and pepper. Mix ingredients until well-combined, yet not over-worked.
- Working with about 2 Tbsp. mixture at a time, roll meat mixture into balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Place meatballs in oven and roast 12-15 minutes until cooked through.
- While meatballs are baking, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and second measure of garlic. When garlic starts to release its scent, add crushed pepper and oregano. Stir spices around for about 30 seconds, then stir in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until meatballs are removed from oven. Add second measure of fresh parsley and meatballs to sauce. Stir.
- Toast the Three Bakers Hoagie Rolls. In each toasted roll, put 4 meatballs and top with cheese. Sprinkle with minced parsley if desired.