Courtesy of Three Bakers and Angela Litzinger
Kale seems to be in every one of my CSA boxes. While I adore it, I needed to find another way to incorporate it into mealtime. Because we like to grill out, I cooked it up with another favorite burger topping, caramelized onions. Mixed up with lean turkey and garlic, a new burger favorite was born. Served up on flavorful and soft Three Bakers gluten-free Hamburger Buns, these burgers are a great change of pace from the regular boring burger.
Makes 4 turkey burgers.
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 red onion, sliced ¼" thick
- 2 cups thinly sliced kale
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp. gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Three Bakers gluten-free Hamburger Buns
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion. Sauté until onion begins to caramelize.
- Add kale and garlic to pan. Continue to sauté mixture until kale is wilted and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir often so garlic does not scorch and overcook. When kale is cooked through, set aside half of the mixture.
- Chop remaining kale/onion mixture. Add to a medium bowl. Add ground turkey, Worcestershire, and ½ tsp. each of salt and pepper. Mix together until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form 4 hamburger patties. Cook patties in skillet over medium to medium-high heat until cooked through.
- Serve on Three Bakers gluten-free Hamburger Buns. Divide remaining kale/onion mixture set aside earlier onto each burger before adding hamburger bun top.
- Serve with honey mustard, if desired.