Courtesy of Three Bakers and Angela Litzinger
Makes a 9×13” pan.
- 1 loaf Three Bakers gluten-free Whole Grain White Bread, cut into 1” cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half, cream or canned coconut milk
- 1 cup milk or unsweetened dairy free substitute (such as unsweetened almond milk)
- Zest of 2 large lemons, finely minced
- Juice of 2 large lemons, strained of seeds
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
Lemon Curd Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- Zest of one large lemon, finely minced
- Juice of one large lemon, strained of seeds
- 4 Tbsp. cold butter or dairy-free substitute
- Assemble bread pudding: Oil a 9x13” pan. Pour the bread cubes into pan and level. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and poppy seeds until well blended and slightly frothy. Pour over bread cube in pan.
- Cover pan with foil and refrigerate for one hour or up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350° F. Leave foil on pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more, or until bread pudding is set.
- Make Lemon curd sauce: In a small bowl whisk together water and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan whisk together egg yolks, second measure of sugar, second measure of lemon zest and second measure of lemon juice. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly for 4 minutes until mixture thickens slightly.
- Whisk in cornstarch and water mixture and cook for 4 more minutes until curd thickens. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in 1 Tbsp. of butter into hot curd at a time until all butter is incorporated.
- Serve immediately over baked bread pudding, or pour into a bowl, cover surface of lemon curd sauce with plastic wrap (to prevent a skin from forming) and chill in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, gently heat over low heat until warmed through.