Courtesy of Chef Oonagh Williams of Gluten-Free Cooking with Oonagh
Makes 8 3-4” pancakes
When I attended the New England Trade Food Show in Boston in March, BelGioioso was there with cheese samples and recipes, including one for ricotta pancakes. I can buy their burrata cheese in my local market, but they had samples of their new burrata with truffles. It is so good, and since my husband doesn't like burrata, I got to indulge on my own. My local market doesn't carry BelGioioso ricotta, so I used Galbani ricotta in this recipe. Galbani is a very thick, sliceable ricotta cheese that is very creamy. A wetter ricotta really should be drained first, or you can use less milk to make up for extra liquid. The BelGioioso ricotta pancake recipe added ricotta to a pancake batter, either from scratch or from a mix, but used less ricotta than my recipe. These are very plain pancakes, so I added orange zest, 2 Tbsp. mini semisweet chocolate chips, fresh blueberries and lemon zest.
- ½ cup (4 oz., 112 g.) whole milk ricotta
- ½ cup (120 ml, 4 fl. oz.) milk
- ¾ cup Pamela's Artisan Flour OR ⅔ cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
- ¼ tsp. xanthan gum (only needed for King Arthur flour; not needed for Pamela's flour, which includes xanthan gum)
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 2½ tsp. (12 ml) gluten-free baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) oil or melted butter, coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. (30ml) sugar
- Mix ricotta and egg together until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, xanthan gum (if needed), salt and sugar.
- Slowly add milk and oil until smooth.
- Add zest, fruit and chocolate. Batter will thicken due to xanthan gum and baking powder. Do not stir and deflate batter.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, lightly grease skillet and scoop pancake batter with a 3 tablespoon scoop. I gently evened batter out to circle from scoop shape. It will spread, so don't over crowd skillet with raw batter.
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Pancake will appear drier on outside edge and won't really show bubbles like regular pancakes. Pancake must set enough to flip, otherwise batter splatters as you try to flip. Don't cook on higher heat, as they will burn.
- Flip and continue to cook for about 2 minutes until pancakes feel firmer to touch and no wet batter shows on edges.
- Repeat with more batter.
- Serve hot with bacon, sausage, fruit, and one of the orange sauces in my Orange Ricotta Cake recipe. Or try serving with my berry sauce below.
- ¼ cup (2 oz., 56 g.) sugar
- ¼ (60 ml, 2 fl. oz.) water
- 1 lb. (500 g.) bag of frozen berry medley (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 2-4 Tbsp. (30-60 ml) of liqueur, optional
- Dissolve sugar in water.
- Add berries, bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until berries are thawing and collapsing down. Remove from heat.