This recipe is an old favorite which I made gluten-free and without potatoes. I use mashed “cauliflower” as the topping and no one even knows. Not even my pickiest tester – my daughter.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tbsp butter or soy butter – not melted
- 2 tbsp rice milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 2 lbs ground beef (chicken or turkey)
- ¾ tsp chili or chipotle
- 2½ tbsp of cornstarch
- 6 oz peas (frozen or fresh sweet peas)
Preheat oven 420 degrees.
1. Steam cauliflower till soft in 2½ cups of water (drain and save water).
2. Place in bowl and mash with a fork.
3. Take a blender or food processor and puree. Add butter and milk if you desire a slightly creamier texture.
4. Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Heat oil in large skillet.
2. Cook onion about 2 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add celery, carrot and garlic. Cook about 8 – 10 minutes
4. Add beef and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir and break up pieces so they're small.
5. Add the cornstarch to 2 cups of your saved water from your steamer and whisk it. Add mixture to beef and simmer around 1-2 minutes on low heat.
6. Pour filling into a 2-quart dish.
7. Evenly distribute cauliflower mash over the top, sealing edges.
8. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.